Our Building

History of The Community Foundation Building

This house, located at the corner of Lake Avenue and Locust Street was originally built by Avery Frink of Montrose in 1860. Frink was considered a master builder who specialized in 6-sided windows. Frink also built the Susquehanna County Court House, Jail, and more than 50 houses in the area.

According to the National Register of Historic Places Continuation Sheet, it is described as one of the finest houses in Montrose. Initially known as the 1860 William H. Cooper House, it is now owned by the Community Foundation of the Endless Mountains. This large, five-bay, hipped-roof house, has small third-story Greek Revival frieze windows interspaced between heavy Italianate cornice brackets. The first-and second -floor windows are surmounted by triangular pediments highlighted by central circular moldings and wrapping around the tops of the window sides in a manner reminiscent of Gothic Revival label molding. The front door has a Greek Revival entrance with rectangular transom and sidelights. The wraparound porch has Italianate octagonal posts and paired brackets with pendants. Greek Revival dentils are interspaced between these Italianate features.

William H. Cooper, the original owner, purchased land from the heirs of the Issac Post Estate where the house now sits. Cooper read law with William Jessup, and eventually went into banking with the Post brothers. Mr. Cooper resided there until his tragic death in 1884 when he was shot by Joe Drinker, brother of Annie Drinker. Joe and Annie had considerable inherited land holdings in the area. Their father, Henry Drinker, had Annie institutionalized where he was able to sell off her inheritance of lands by petitioning a Montrose court to declare her insane and unable to manage her estate. Upon Mr. Drinker’s death, William Cooper was made the estate’s agent. Joe became Annie’s voice and blamed Cooper as part of a wide conspiracy to sell off their land.  Annie was a poet and Philadelphia socialite who spent most of her life in Montrose, PA.  She sat for a portrait by Thomas Sully, a sought-after painter among the Philadelphia & Baltimore elite.  This portrait can be seen in the Susquehanna County Historical Society.

In 1884, the property was sold to Clemont R. Woodin, President of the American Can and Foundry Corp. of Berwick, Pa. as a summer home. He was the father of the Honorable William Woodin, formally a U.S. Secretary of the Treasury under President Franklin Roosevelt.

plannedgiving_realestate_image
Community Foundtion_cropped
gradient_swish

LATER OWNERS INCLUDE:

Searle 1901  |  Huston 1922 |  Montrose Bible Conference 1952 |  Smith 1953 |  Montrose Properties 1967 |  Kerls 1971 |  Smith 1979
Second Coming, Inc. 1983 |  Wootton 1998 |  Wootton Foundation 2005 |  Commonwealth Charitable Management 2019

In 1998, June and Earle Wootton purchased the property with an eye to the future. Renovations in 2007 returned the premises to much of its original character while redesigning the layout to meet the needs of the Community Foundation.

The Wootton’s donated the building to the Community Foundation in 2010.

ITEMS OF INTEREST CATALOG

Throughout the years, generous donors have given the Community Foundation items that we proudly display throughtout the building and property. Below are just some of these items.
TunkCreekViaduct

Tunkhannock Creek Viaduct

Donated by: Tom and Mary Chamberlin (2008)

Artist: Jim Webber
Location: Community Foundation, Board Room

StarruccaViaduct

Starrucca Viaduct

Donated by: Tom and Mary Chamberlin (2008)

Artist: Jim Webber
Location: Community Foundation, Board Room

Untitled_building

Untitled

Donated by: Tom and Mary Chamberlin (2008)

Artist: Jim Webber
Location: Community Foundation Stairwell, Second Floor

ArielViewMontrose

Aerial View of Montrose, PA, c. 1890 (Reproduction)

Donated by: William and Deborah Lewis (2004)

Artist: Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler
Location: Community Foundation, Basement Landing

WashingtonCrossing

Washington Crossing the Delaware (Reproduction)

Donated by: Earle and June Wootton (2006)

Artist: Luis Mesa
Location: Community Foundation Washington Room, Second Floor

This painting was found in an antique shop located in Outer Banks, NC, by former Montrose HS Art teacher, Robert Smith. Mr. Smith approached Mr. Wootton about a rather large painting which Mr. Wootton purchased. It hangs in the “Washington Room,” so named after the painting.

AllBanners

Canvas Banners

Donated by: Karen Casterline Farmer (2009)

Location: Community Foundation, Back Stairwell

Each canvas measures 35 feet in length and was created in a studio in London, England.

Spring

Canvas Banner, Spring (Close Up)

Donated by: Karen Casterline Farmer (2009)

Location: Community Foundation, Back Stairwell

Insuring Success
“Building Legacies”  •  “Accelerating Achievement”
“Developing Future”  •  “Empowering Optimism”
“Promoting Opportunity” •  “Enabling Growth”
“Insuring Success” •  “Supporting Community”

Summer

Canvas Banner, Summer (Close Up)

Donated by: Karen Casterline Farmer (2009)

Location: Community Foundation, Back Stairwell

Insuring Success
“Building Legacies”  •  “Accelerating Achievement”
“Developing Future”  •  “Empowering Optimism”
“Promoting Opportunity” •  “Enabling Growth”
“Insuring Success” •  “Supporting Community”

Fall

Canvas Banner, Fall
(Close Up)

Donated by: Karen Casterline Farmer (2009)

Location: Community Foundation, Back Stairwell

Insuring Success
“Building Legacies”  •  “Accelerating Achievement”
“Developing Future”  •  “Empowering Optimism”
“Promoting Opportunity” •  “Enabling Growth”
“Insuring Success” •  “Supporting Community”

Winter

Canvas Banner, Winter (Close Up)

Donated by: Karen Casterline Farmer (2009)

Location: Community Foundation, Back Stairwell

Insuring Success
“Building Legacies”  •  “Accelerating Achievement”
“Developing Future”  •  “Empowering Optimism”
“Promoting Opportunity” •  “Enabling Growth”
“Insuring Success” •  “Supporting Community”

Quilt

Quilt “Running for Home”

Donated by: Karen Casterline Farmer in memory of her sister, Judy Allen (2014)

Artist: Karen Casterline Farmer
Location: Community Foundation, Kitchen

WarMemoribilia

War Memorabilia

Donated by: Kenneth Leasure (2008)

Location: Community Foundation Leasure Room, First Floor

Kenneth Leasure served in the Army Air Corps during WWII and flew B-24 missions concentrated in bombing German held oil fields in Rumania. Ken and his wife, Mary started the first fund at the Community Foundation of the Endless Mountains

ScrantonRecordCompanyDesk

Scranton Record
Company Desk

Donated by: Quackenbush and Bertsch Families (2004)

Location: Community Foundation President’s Office, Second Floor

Stephen VanPelt Quackenbush, Sr. was president of the Scranton Record Company which later became Capital Records. In the 1960’s most every Beatle Album was manufactured at this location in Scranton

ThreeSidedDesk

Three-Sided Desk

Donated by: The DoVell Family (2021)

Location: Community Foundation Reception Area, Second Floor

This desk was originally located in the JP Morgan Building in New York City, and used as a reception desk for their executive offices

DiningRoomTableSet

Dining Room Table
& Chairs

Donated by: Caroline and James Kolder (2017)

Location: Community Foundation Dining Room, First Floor

The table and 8 chairs were made by the Kindel Furniture Company as part of their Winterthur collection. Mrs. Kolder is the sister to Attorney Richard Jordan, who resides with his wife Maureen in Montrose. She wanted the table and chairs to be preserved in an appropriate setting where it will serve the public.

BoardRoomTable

Board Room Table

Donated by: Robert Wurt (2004)

Location: Community Foundation Board Room, Second Floor

This Board Room table was originally located in the Chrysler Building in New York City.

NeedlePoint

Needlepoint Picture

Donated by: Frank and Heike Proske (2018)

Location: Community Foundation Yellow Front Room, First Floor

WoodenMailbox

Wooden Mailbox

Donated by: Susquehanna County Career and Technology Center (2009)

Location: Community Foundation, Back Porch

Plaque reads: Donated By The Susquehanna County Career and Technology Center Class of 09 In Appreciation of Tuition Assistance

Indenture

Indenture-1827

Donated by: Earle and June Wootton (1998)

Location: Community Foundation Washington Room, Second Floor

This indenture shows names of Revolutionary War Soldiers who were given land for their service. This land was eventually sold to Robert Rose, a prominent surgeon from Philadelphia. This land purchase of 100,000 acres is located in Silver Lake Township.

Sword

Commander’s Sword,
c. 1910

Donated by: Earle Wootton, 2009

Location: Community Foundation Leasure Room, First Floor

This is a Commander’s Sword from the Commandry of Knight’s Templar, Montrose, PA.

 

Photos courtesy of James A. Hollister

Clock

Grandfather Clock

Donated by: Earle Wootton (2018)

Location: Community Foundation Board Room, Second Floor

Plaque Reads: Earle A. Wootton. In appreciation and recognition of your 8 years of outstanding leadership and service as a Director of Peoples Security Bank and Trust Company.

This curly maple clock was custom made by Isaac S. Kauffman, Jr. from Lancaster, PA.

Eight-Sided Stone Garden Column

Donated by: Cooper Van Cott
Location: Community Foundation, Cooper’s Garden

White Stoneware Place Settings & Flatware

Donated by: Keystone College (2008)
Location: Community Foundation Kitchen

Flatware

Donated by: Ellie Earl and Friends of the Red Hat Society (2010)
Location: Community Foundation Kitchen

Stone Garden Urns

Donated by: Cooper Van Cott (2019)
Location: Community Foundation, Cooper’s Garden

United States of America Flag

Donated by: Cooper Van Cott
Location: Community Foundation, Side Yard

Let's Talk

What is a Community Foundation?

We are so glad you asked!
View our video to find out everything you need to know.